Hamilton History Centre

James Begg's Hamilton Academy

cover_image_front
$15.00

43 available
Add to cart

By NEIL MACLEAN

The Hamilton Academy situated on the corner of Pope and Collins Street, Hamilton was founded by James Begg in 1870 and existed until mid-1900. In 1874 the building better known more recently as “St Mary’s School” was built for the Academy, which could claim to have been the pre-eminent post elementary school in the district for much of the 1880’s.

This book tells its story of that other school-the “Hamilton Academy” and James Begg's role in it which deserves to be told.